Sunday 21 December 2014

Two Capital Cities Tehran and Baghdad

Middle East-Iran-Tehran This is the Azadi Tower. A landmark in Tehran. During my other two visits, I had never managed to stop and see it properly. I had passed it to and from the old international Airport in Tehran. This time I was determined that I would stop and see it . During my trip to Tehran, I also visited the previous Shah Palaces, the Gold Museum and the old American Embassy. This is possible with prior arrangement . 

Not many people knew where the central Post office was. It had changed since my last visit. In fact when I got there in the end, I have to say it was very boring. No special counters to visit and no selection of stamps. I wished I had visited the old Post office as this is  now a stamp museum and also has a Philatelic counter. As you can see this large stamp which was part of a Miniature sheet takes up a lot of the back of the postcard. 

Middle East-Iraq-Baghdad  I have to say that a few years ago, if someone had told me I would visit Baghdad I would have told them they were mad. However over the years I have got very determined to visit Iraq and if possible with safety Baghdad. I in fact spend 10 days in Iraq. I was surprised how religious it was , even more so then Iran. So seen a lot in that time and on a few occasions met the locals and talked to them about how life was in Iraq. Had the services of the Iraqi Tourism board, who usually only deal with religious tourism. Still interesting to see a country in the way it is and not the way you wished it was , if you know what I mean. This postcard is from the 1970s . It was not possible to find interesting Postcards from now. Still a piece of nostalgia. 

This card was sent from the Main Post office in Baghdad during a blackout. So it was difficult writing the card. I had prewritten other cards that I had requests for and sent those. But as I could not stay in the Post office too long I had to leave due to security reasons. Interesting the Post office is opposite the Iraqi National Museum.  During my stay in Iraq I sent cards from two other Post offices. However none of them arrived at their final destination. I was disappointed but not surprised. Getting access to Post Offices was far from easy . The tourist officers did not want me to go as it was not a priority for them. It was not possible to walk anywhere without security . On one of the Post offices I was not let in and left the Post cards with the Police. I guess one postcard is better then none ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment