Tuesday 12 August 2014

Wallis & Futuna and Tonga

Pacific Ocean-Wallis & Futuna-Matu Utu  Well I have to say I never knew the capital of Wallis Futuna I until I was coming here. A small village I would call it. During my stay here , it was during the mini Pacific Games and the island was busy by their standards. Stayed at a wonderful small hotel near the airport with a great chief owner. The food alone was worth the trip. The main tourist attraction is the quiteness of the place and the unusual brick churches which are all over the island of Futuna. 

The Philatelic Bureau here is certainly one of the best I have ever visited. It has a fantastic wall display and its own office not far from the Post office. Room to sit and admire the stamps. So 10 out of 10 on that score and they do have wonderful stamps. 

Pacific Ocean-Tonga-Nuku'alofa  Here you can see the Royal Palace. It is must be one of the few if only Palaces made of Wood in the world that is still in use. It is right on the ocean front and easy to see, but surrounded by a fence. This is the main Island which contains the capital Nuku'alofa. 

The Post office in Nuku'alofa is quite large and even includes a cafe. But the Stamp counter is sort of outside and you have to look at the many stamps in a glass case on the wall. Here is one of the new issue famous Banana stamps that Tonga issued many years ago. I have a set in my collection. Tonga and Sierra Leone was one of the first countries in the world to issue self adhesive stamps that are now in common use . 

3 comments:

  1. The.best.stamps.ever! <3

    Anyway, postcards also are great - as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the stamps.. Always nice to find some unusual stamps.

    ReplyDelete