Tuesday 11 June 2013

Guam, Iwo Jima and Saipan.

Pacific Ocean-Guam-Hagatna  You see a very big U.S. Military presence here.  This is a view  over Agana Bay  at sunset.  Most of the tourists here are from Japan.

I do like the red postmark. Sort of stands out. Guam is a territory of  the United States of America. 

Pacific Ocean-Ogasawara Islands-Iwo Jima  This famous Island forms part of the Ogasawara Archipelago . This island was the setting for the famous battle in February/March 1945. I was here to commemorate the said battle as you can see I was here the exact date 62 years ago. Here you see Mount Suribachi . It was great being part of the commemoration with the Japanese and American vets all here. There are no civilian population here now. Just a military Defence base. 

There is no Post office on Iwo Jima . So I gave this postcard to  one of the Japanese military in charge to mail for me. It was mailed from the a Defence base in Japan. The man who took my card in fact played a part in the movie "Flags of our Fathers" 

Pacific Ocean-Northern Mariana Islands-Saipan-Garapan  Some times you get to a Island and all you want to do is relax. Well this was that Island. At least there was a nice white sandy beach and sunshine..

Another red circular postmark. No choice of stamps at this post office. 

3 comments:

  1. The stamp of Japanese characters (硫黄島航空基地隊) says "Iwo Jima Air Force Base", in case you were desperately wondering. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Waxon, well in fact I did not know that and had wondered. Thanks for helping me out with that. I will send you some postcards from my next trip to the Pacific, which includes some remote islands. Just send me your home address to my email. langandavid@gmail.com
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! That would be so amazing! Thank you. :-D

    ReplyDelete